Thursday, December 3, 2009

Teaching Reflection IP&T 301

Camila and I taught a lesson about motivation. One principle of teaching that we thought about to implement to help within the learning process was activities. When I say activities I mean group work. We also provided opportunities for class discussion, and group discussion, bringing critical thinking opportunities. Assessment was a good part of our lesson. First we had an informal assessment which was a bingo game using terms that we learned during the lesson. Then a formal assessment where the groups had to walk around the classroom answering question that were hanging on the walls.

I believe that our activities and assessments were the strengths of our presentation. I say that because our anticipatory set was very engaging. The whole class was participating and got really interested into the topic because of the activity. We started the lesson asking everybody the following question: “why do you choose to complete academic tasks? After everybody answered on a post-it we categorized them as being either intrinsic motivation, or extrinsic motivation. I am sure that if today I ask any of my classmates what intrinsic or extrinsic is the still remember. The first weakness I think of is not having all the knowledge I wish I could have before teaching. Some questions come up and I did not feel as qualified to answer as I wish. The topic itself was a little confusing, and the text book did not help as much, but I could have been more prepared. Another weakness I think of was spending a little too much time on the power point part and then having to rush during the activities. Instead of only talking, talking, and talking we should have let the students participate more, and figure out by themselves. Also sometimes power points are boring, and people do not really pay attention. I saw two of my classmates asleep, and I don’t blame them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment